Sunday, May 06, 2007

Cry Havoc!

Going through the TV listings, I came across a program where the killer wreaks havoc on a train. I got to thinking. Wreaks havoc. Those two words always seem to go together. Can they be separated? Are they ever used alone? Is anything ever wreaked except havoc? And can havoc somehow be brought about without wreaking it? One could say makes havoc, I suppose, but that doesn't cut it. No panache. Cause havoc? Nah. I checked the thesaurus for wreak. Nothing, no synonyms. Nor could I think of anything else, off-hand, that we normally wreak.

My fevered mind then remembered; was there not an actress named Havoc? June Havoc? I googled it. Sure enough, there was. Would her mother have wreaked her? No, I'm told she delivered her. And her name was really Hovick, and you can't wreak Hovick. June was the sister of Gypsy Rose Lee.

I must think of something else to explore. I have a lot of time on my hands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home