Friday, January 30, 2009

A foofaraw has been raised in the House of Commons concerning a school principal in New Brunswick who banned the singing of the national anthem by elementary students. A Conservative MP has called the action "political correctness gone wild". Other Conservative MPs are equally condemnatory.

I have several questions. First, how can the principal's decision be construed as political correctness? What is so politically correct about it? I just don't get the connection. Secondly, why are we hearing only from Conservatives who are big on patriotism? The other parties don't seem to be upset.

I have a profound distrust of patriots and flag wavers. Samuel Johnson famously said that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel. I love Canada as much as anyone, it's a great country, but how does singing a rather corny song accomplish anything? We'll always "stand on guard for thee", anthem or no anthem. I look askance at the indoctrination of small children. Should they not be taught that although we have a wonderful country, there are other good countries and great peoples out there? Get away from the "us and them" thinking. Anthems played at the Olympics glorify countries, many of which don't deserve it, instead of the athletes who do deserve the glory.

Patriotism has been the chant of those who champion our commitment to the Afghan war. The "support the troops" movement seems to me like a thinly disguised support for the war. Every soldier who is killed, whether from a landmine or falling off a truck is acclaimed a hero. I support the troops, but I'd like to see them come home. I've digressed from the main topic but it's all connected, is it not?




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home