Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Democracy, Canadian and Otherwise

We are suffering another election. Last night the four leaders debated on TV. Unfortunately I slept through it, but judging from comment and "analysis" on the Web this morning, there was no winner, no knock-out blow, to quote the pundits.
If the polls are right, we face the unholy prospect of a Consevative government led by Stephen Harper, the classic wolf in sheep's clothing. He is now espousing policies that he vigourously opposed in the past, and a large number of Canadians are buying it. What little memories they have! Here is the guy who would have sent our troops to Iraq. Here is the guy who would bring U.S. Republican philosophy to government.
The main problem is not really Harper, or Bush in the U.S., it is the uninformed, apathetic, lazy and easily taken-in electorate. This is the Achilles' heel of democracy. That is why democracies of the past have yielded to demagoguery and tyranny. The U.S. seems to be going down that path. (The Brits seem to have the most solid democracy at the moment, as do the Nordic countries.)
Speaking of apathy and laziness, too many voters take the view that "they're all corrupt, they're all the same." Perhaps I should have said non-voters. Well, they may be all bad, but some are worse than others and while I don't like Prime Minister Martin, Harper is worse. For me it's either the devil we know, Martin, or the NDP. I'll think about it.



1 Comments:

Blogger Mike said...

On principal I always assume politicians are corrupt. But some have agendas based on crazy beliefs about how a society should be run. These beliefs come from outlandish sources that only have credibility because they are old and some people are too scared not to believe them.

I bleieve it's ok to help a terminally ill person die. Does that mean I should force everyone to do so? I also believe it's ok to let children know Santa Claus isn't real. Am I right just because I beleive it?

2:47 AM, January 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home