Monday, May 26, 2008

Say Good Night Dick

My La-Z-Boy sits in front of the TV. On a table beside it are books and magazines I'm currently reading and as I often come across words that are new to me, my 1964 ragged edition of Funk & Wagnalls dictionary, Canadian Edition, sits there also. Every time I pick it up I think of Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In. "Look that up in your Funk & Wagnalls" was a line heard on almost every show.

Unforgetable were Goldie Hawn, the not-so-dumb blonde, Arte Johnson, the Nazi spy peeking through the bushes - "Very interesthting" he would exclaim, and the great Lily Tomlin, the nasal telephone operator. I once spoke to an operator who sounded exactly like her, so help me God; I almost cracked up; I could barely keep my voice normal.

The show always ended with Rowan's "Say good night Dick" and Dick would dutifully reply "Good night Dick" with that goofy grin of his. He was zany, and fabulous.

Dick Martin died this week. We won't see another like him. Good night, Dick.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home